Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Beginnings

Mentionable Edibles began as a radio show I hosted during the summer of 2008 on CHMA 106.9 in Sackville, NB where I was living at the time. It was quite a remarkable opportunity to be able to reach an audience using that medium, and I received a great deal of support and suggestions from friends and listeners. The way the show usually worked was that I would have a guest join me to talk about something that they were interested in, involved in, or knew something about, and we would just talk food. The topics were quite varied - urban gardening, community supported agriculture, food traditions and taboos, alcohol, caffeine, the organic food industry in the Maritimes, and many others - and each time I went into the booth with my guests, I learned. Not only about food, but about people and about different ways of thinking about our society and cultures. It was very easy for me to make assumptions about other people's food choices, but there was a great deal that I didn't know, and hadn't thought to consider. This was a great reality check, if you will, on my own food-ego (if I can describe an "ego" in such a way).

Food, I have come to learn, is a deeply personal matter. People are defensive of their food choices, and do not like to be told what to eat. But as we continue to learn about nutrition, sustainability, the economy, and how these things interract, we are armed with a better knowledge of what is available to us. However, with knowledge comes responsibility. Because we are constantly eating, our choices are felt in ways that we can't even imagine. Mentionable Edibles helped me to make better informed choices, and I continue to slowly absorb information while gradually changing my food habits. I, therefore, am greatful to those folks, and to those from whom I continuously seek to learn.

This blog is going to be a lot of me sharing what I learn, and what I know. My commitment is to continue to seek knowledge, and to share that with readers. So while you will be reading my personal banterings, thoughts, or opinions, I will attempt to avoid judgement on others as not to alienate those who may think or feel in a way that is contrary to me. In any case, I am bursting with excitement to have a new venue for sharing my love of food. Thanks for reading, and feel free to email anytime with your comments!
-Angela

No comments: